I breathed, I went to a yoga class, I took the dog for a hike, I logged some hours in the office. I feel exponentially better. Maybe a little gratitude will improve things even more. Off the top of my head, here are some of the little things I’m enjoying:
1. Hangover-free mornings. Always, always, always, always, always. Each one is a miracle.
2. Not being insanely thirsty and dehydrated all the time. I used to drink more than a liter of water just during the night. Now I fill a bottle, but I rarely take a sip.
3. Driving (sober) at night. It surprised me how odd this felt at first. My mind almost played tricks on me and convinced me I was drunk; I was that unaccustomed to driving (sober) past the hour of 8pm. (Ask me another time about those parentheticals.)
4. Being able to make plane reservations without taking into consider whether a) the early morning flights would be a hungover nightmare or b) the late night flights would interfere with my drinking.
5. Going to some of the restaurants in my neighborhood that were long-neglected because they didn’t have liquor licenses.
6. Not being afraid to talk on the phone after 7pm. I’ve been a bad friend and a bad daughter because I avoid the phone while drunk. Nice to be able to talk now whenever.
7. Not having to check my emails/texts/Facebook in the morning after a heavy night to see what kind of nonsense I’d been up to. (Toward the end, I’d learned my lesson, but there was a rough little while there. I cringe.)
8. Saving cash. I estimate that I spent about $18-20/day on wine on days I stayed in, and sometimes $40 or more on days I went out to eat or drink (maybe twice a week). So, approximately $685/month. That is an embarrassing, horrible amount of money to spend on booze–ugh, what a wine snob I was, and what an expensive way I chose to justify my drinking–but a seriously nice amount of money to save each month.
9. Becoming aware of when I’m actually tired and actually hungry.
10. Not having to double check before leaving the house in the morning to make sure my lips aren’t stained red. Not having chapped lips all the time.
11. Actually washing my face and brushing my teeth before going to bed. Sometimes even showering!
12. Being able to do errands after work instead of just rushing home to drink. Having more time on the weekend as a result. Okay, I’m just spending that extra time at the office lately, but it’s there!
13. Spending more time with good old friends of mine who didn’t drink enough to make the cut toward the end.
And these are just the little things….